It’s really easy to run into the wind right now and read all of the stressful news out there. Instead I thought it would be nice to create a list of my favorite things I found through my recent internet scrolling to spread a little bit of positivity.
Here is a list of my top 5 things in the news recently:
1. Applauding healthcare workers on their shift change. Healthcare workers are working tirelessly to combat the COVID-19 pandemic and their efforts haven’t gone unnoticed. Hearing cheering, clapping and horns coming from all balconies around me is one of my favorite things to participate in every night at 7:00 pm; during healthcare workers shift change. I would encourage everyone reading this to join in or start it in your city if it’s not already happening. It’s an amazing feeling knowing we are all separated but we can still come together and show our gratitude for those who are fighting hard to keep us safe.
2. Penguins explore the aquarium while it’s shut down due to COVID-19. Even though everything is shut down, doesn’t mean others don’t have a chance to explore. Penguins at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago got to go on a little field trip around the aquarium to visit all the other animals – and it is way too cute!
3. Jimmy Kimmel starts a new celebration called Formal Fridays. If you’re like me, you haven’t changed out of the same sweatpants in days (weeks..maybe). On one of Jimmy Kimmel’s Quarantine Minilogues, he introduced the new trend of dressing up on Fridays as if you were going out. Look up the hashtag #FormalFriday to see some of the great ways people are participating. Maybe give those sweatpants a break and try it out!
4. Rugby announcer commentates on daily life. With sports on hold, multiple sports platforms are playing reruns of iconic games like the 2019 Raptors Championship Run. Also, on what would have been MLB’s opening day last Thursday, they replayed classic games over the last decade like the 2016 Cubs World Series and the 2002 Oakland A’s game that was depicted in the book and movie, Moneyball. However, if you’re not into watching sports reruns and there are no new sports happening, commentators are getting creative on what they are commentating on. Check out the link above where one rugby commentator announces a play-by-play of dogs chasing each other.
5. Executives are forgoing their salaries during the pandemic so they can keep paying their employees. Disney’s Executive Chairman, Bob Iger, Cinemark’s CEO, Mark Zoradi, and Columbia’s CEO, Tim Boyle are forgoing their salaries or taking drastic paycuts to be able to pay their employees throughout these tough times. Check out this link for more.
There is so much more good news out there during this time. If you are looking for more, I would check out John Krasincki’s new online show called, Some Good News for many more heartwarming pictures, videos and stories – sprinkled with reminiscence of The Office.
Hang in there everyone! And feel free to share your favorite things in the news this week!
– Jocelyn van der Geest, Research Analyst